Legislative Assembly of Alberta Commemorates the Armenian Genocide of 1915 -
EDMONTON – On May 5, 2014, the Legislative Assembly of Alberta will commemorate the Armenian Genocide of 1915, an extremely dark period in history during which over 1 million men, women and children perished in an atrocious series of events committed against the Armenian people.
Speaker Zwozdesky will host a ceremony in commemoration of the 1915 Armenian Genocide in the Legislature Building rotunda on Monday, May 5, 2014, at noon.
“Ninety-nine years have passed since these horrific crimes against humanity took place, but for the many Armenian people living here in Alberta and for those scattered around the world, the pain of the loss of their people and their history is still felt today,” said the Honourable Gene Zwozdesky, Speaker of the Alberta Legislative Assembly. “We gather to remember the
Armenian Genocide so that we can ensure that such a tragedy may never occur again.”
The ceremony will include remarks from the following platform guests:
- The Honourable Dave Hancock, QC, MLA, Premier of Alberta
- Ms. Danielle Smith, MLA, Leader of Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition
- Dr. Raj Sherman, MLA, Leader of the Liberal Opposition
- Mr. David Eggen, MLA on behalf of Mr. Brian Mason, Leader of the New Democrat Opposition
- Mrs. Janice Sarich, MLA
- Mrs. Mary Anne Jablonski, MLA
- Mr. Arsen Vaganyan, Leader, Armenian Community of Edmonton
- Mr. Shahin Soheili, Director Western Canada, Armenian Holy Apostolic Church Canadian Diocese
The Surb Prayer of Remembrance will be sung by the Archpriest Reverend Keghart Ghaza Garabedian, Pastor Saint Vartan Armenian Apostolic Church of BC. The ceremony will also include a presentation on the historic events of 1915 and the commemorative laying of flowers and lighting of candles.